Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

What's That Lassie? Timmy Fell In The What?

I went out into the back yard, today, for the first time this week, and got a little surprise...



There was a bit of a hole in the yard...


A nice, big, round brick-lined hole. I can't imagine it being a manhole, so I am assuming it is an abandoned well or cistern.

How big is it?

This big.

It's about 4 feet deep, 3 feet to the top of the bricks. My guess is that it was capped, years ago, and covered over. Our recent rains saturated the soil to the point that the weight caused it to collapse.

Now, I have to come up with about 2 cubic yards of material to fill the void. 

What next?

x

5 Comments:

At 4:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What's that, Jack? Oswald fell in the well?" You have the weirdest problems!

 
At 6:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could toss a disagreeable coworker or two in there and lessen the amount of fill dirt needed!

Fatmeanman

 
At 1:00 PM , Blogger Shawn said...

I'm not sure how I'd feel standing in the "bottom" of that hole. You don't know how deep it might really be.

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Shawn, I thought the same thing. I took a shovel and poked around a bit, before I climbed down. I didn't really want to take the 25 foot fall to the bottom, if the pleg was just caught at the top.

 
At 4:45 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Plug, not pleg

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home