Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, January 02, 2015

First Ride of 2015, And First Crash


I took the commuter fat bike out for my New Year's Day ride. The snow conditions on the roads were more conducive to riding the fat tires than the thinner studded tires on the fixed gear. I rode over to Cherry Creek, and took the trail north to the mall, then cut off to surface streets. Steele Street got me back across the Interstate, and I decided to ride down Buchtel, and cut through the DU neighborhood in order to get to Kaladi Bros. Everything went swimmingly until...

About a quarter-mile from the coffee shop, I made the turn from High Street to Asbury Ave, and hit a patch of ice, which sent me straight down. I landed with a big "OOF", with my hands still on the grips. The force of the fall drove my elbow into my ribs hard enough that I couldn't breathe for a few seconds. I don't think anything broke, but I sure bruised some ribs up.

Right now, I am having trouble getting up out of a chair, and a cough or sneeze feels like death. I coughed, at Kaladi, after I finally got there, and almost passed out. So, not an auspicious beginning to the new year, bike-wise.

I did check, when I got home, and i am able to play my guitar.

And, I will be okay. I am unbreakable, after all.

Be careful out there!

x

4 Comments:

At 7:40 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Ugh...I hate to hear that. Your symptoms sound like what my dad said when he cracked a couple of ribs. Either way, that might be painful for a while. Here's hoping it's only a fast healing bruise.

 
At 10:27 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Amen to that!

 
At 10:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo Jonny. I'd feel a whole lot better if you went to get checked sooner rather than later. M

 
At 11:10 AM , Blogger RANTWICK said...

Ooch. Ribs are tricky. In my experience they take a long time to heal unless you really lay off for a bit.

Fat bike envy continues unabated.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home