Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Miyata 310 Yardsale Find

I got a text from Brad, to the effect of, "Do you need a 22" Miyata 110, with Shimano Arabesque, for anyone? The handlebars are bent, but it's in good shape, otherwise."

He was at a yard sale, near his house. I told him to hang tight, and I would come get it. The price was good, and I have been looking for some old Japanese road bikes, for people, lately. So, I figured I'd take a chance on it.

When I got there, it turned out to be a Miyata 310. It looked to be in pretty good shape, for the most part. The freewheel was frozen, but the wheels looked to be in good shape.


The handlebars were, indeed, quite bent, as was the stem. Not a big deal, since the frame and fork were unaffected.

I took the bike home, and dripped some lube into the freewheel. It loosened right up, and was soon working like new. After a bit of a sweaty struggle, I managed to get the seat post out, and cleaned the inside of the seat tube, before lubing the post and reinserting it. I aired the tires up, and adjusted the brakes, then test rode it. Everything worked fine (other than the weird feeling of steering with those messed up bars, that is.)


I had an old Superbe stem, and an SR handlebar in the shop building. So, I swapped the bar and stem, and wrapped the bar with some old, used, tape I had in the parts bin. It's not the best wrap job I have ever done, as you can see the bar on the inside of the handlebar curve, at the brake lever. The Shimano gum hoods are pretty crispy, and I couldn't roll them back, in order to get a perfect wrap.


The bike steers a lot better, now. And, it looks quite a bit better, too, in my opinion.
 

I have some virtually new Bontrager 27" tires, which I may put on the Miyata. New brake pads will be a good addition, as well. Then ... well, I'm not sure.

The frame is a 56cm, with a 56 top tube, which is precisely my size. I should just put it on craigslist and flip it, or find someone I know who is looking for this size.  But I don't even own a road bike, right now, and this is a sweet frame. I have some 700c wheels, and a modern drivetrain that I could hang on it, if i wanted to keep it.

The problem is, I would probably never ride it. I just like these old frames, and I'd like to have one. That might well be the root of any financial problems that I have.

It would make a sweet fixed gear, too...

Yes, I have a problem.

x

2 Comments:

At 10:30 PM , Blogger Jerome said...

Nice. I know the feeling when you come across these old bikes. I can't tell you what you should do with it though. When it comes to these old bikes, there is no should logic. Simply, enjoy:)

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger thomas said...

Yeah, it may not always be convenient for the wallet, but what would that bike be without you? At least if you fix it and eventually sell it, there will be one more respectable bike out there...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home