Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

New Walgoose Fat Bike Coming



Well, I obviously haven't been on the RatRod forum, for a while...


I got a question, in the comments, about my opinion of the Mongoose Dolomite. The only bike I knew of by that name, was a bmx model, from years ago. So, I looked at RatRod, and MTBR, and this what I found.

This is basically the Beast, with disc brakes, 1x7 freewheel gearing and a threadless headset. The projected price is $250.





I'm excited that the Mongoose is going to be available with gears and disc brakes, out of the box. $250 for that? Hell, yeah! I spent more than that converting my Beast. Admittedly, I ended up with better parts than what this bike is specced with. But, not having to modify, engineer and fabricate everything, in order to hang those parts, would certainly have made things easier.

And, this actually provides an entry-level machine to get into fat tire riding. And, before you leave a nasty comment about the bike being useless offroad, keep in mind that I have ridden my Beast conversion on some pretty gnarly Colorado Front Range trails, and it worked just fine.

I am tempted to order one of these, once they are available, and upgrade it a bit. Then, I would have a "guest bike" of the fat persuasion (which I would ride, and put the guest on my ti bike), to introduce people to the joys of fat bikes.

But, I am really trying to get out of the bike shop mentality, which makes me feel that I need to keep a fully stocked inventory of bikes around, for stuff like that. Maybe I'll just try to convince some of my friends to pop $250 on their own Walgoose, and then help them with the upgrades...


x

11 Comments:

At 8:41 AM , Blogger Travel Gravel said...

I think it is like the Beast, a whole lot of fun for the money.Immediate upgrades on seat, bar/stem, and then ride it until something needs upgraded. I see long gravel rides in my future on one of these. Cheers Jon!

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

Tell you what,
I'll take care of the Ti fatbike while you play with the Walgoose.

 
At 12:18 PM , Blogger Jon said...

That is a noble sacrifice, on your part.

 
At 9:25 PM , Blogger Travel Gravel said...

Wait a minute, is this the same blog that used to have a coffee grinder logo on it? If so, I have known about your blogging for quite some time longer than I thought. All of those fixer-uppers were some very cool old bikes! Waiting and watching for the Dolomite.

 
At 2:11 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Yep. That's me ... GrinderBikes

 
At 5:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

When is Walmart supposed to have these in stock. I just bought two of the very last beasts and after assembly and riding them it would really be nice to have them with gears.

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Len, they are on the website, now, but they show "out Of Stock".At $225, free shipping, they don't last long. Just keep an eye on the site:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Men-s-Dolomite-Navy-Blue-Red/29741123

 
At 10:58 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

I can pass on the fat bike for now, the walmart bike that I want is;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Impakt-Sidehack-BMX-Bicycle/12554957

 
At 12:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

They are up to $349.49. I could not order 2 but the site let me order 1, so I tried doing it again and it allowed me to a second one. Anyway now have 2 coming for the wife and me. Will let ya know what we think of them! Thanks for the info

 
At 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems I missed the boat on the $225 price tag - As stated above - the price tag is now $350. does anyone know where to find the Dolomite for less or any better visability on when it may go on sale? As well, do you think the DOSER at toys r us is the same as the Beast?

 
At 3:27 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I don't know if they will ever match the $225 price, again. I get the feeling that was accidental...

The Dozer is definitely the beast, with a different decal, as is the Brutus (available on Amazon for about $300, shipped).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home