Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, January 02, 2014

NYDR 2014



Yesterday, I left the house at around 8:00 AM, in the snow,  for my New Year's Day Ride. This is something of a tradition, for me. I have only missed a couple of years, in the past 20 and, at one time, it was a social event, with up to 15 riders participating. These past few years, attendance has dwindled, to the point that I didn't even invite anyone, this year. Kids, careers, etc, have conspired to prevent a lot of the old gang from participating, I suppose. So, I started out solo.

I rode down to Kaladi Bros Coffee, and had some coffee and fellowship with a few of my buddies. Then, I headed out, with the intention of hitting the Starbuck's at the REI flagship store. I usually ride from coffee shop to coffee shop, on these rides.


On the way toward Washington Park, I passed a sign of the previous evening's festivities. This champagne cork was close to the middle of the street, in front of a house on Gilpin Street. I like to imagine that someone popped the cork on the front porch, and the trajectory brought it to rest here. Maybe not, but I like the mental image, anyway.

As I rode on, I realized that my bud Mark lives just a mile, or so, on the other side of the Interstate from REI. So, I stopped in the middle of Wash Park and gave him a call, to see if he might want to join me. He told me that he had coffee brewed, already, and that I was welcome to stop by for some. I did, and then he and I went for a bit of a tour of the Highlands neighborhood. I haven't been up there much, lately, and a few of my favorite businesses were gone, but, a few new cool spots had appeared to balance things out.

Eventually, we headed back toward REI, and the the Cherry Creek Trail, which I would take homeward. On the way, we stopped and Mark took this commemorative shot:


I headed down the path, and returned home in sunshine, with the front porch thermometer showing 42 degrees F.


I was a bit famished, after the 20 mile-plus ride on the fat bike. All I had eaten, since I got up, was a raspberry scone, at Kaladi. So, I cleaned up, and ordered a pizza from Beaujo's.

Later, Steve came over and we practiced for our upcoming show. 

Bike ride, coffee, pizza, music ... not a bad start to the New Year!


x

5 Comments:

At 1:56 PM , Blogger Matt said...

Sounds heavenly! Love your bike.

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger Matt said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:42 PM , Blogger Jerome said...

A fine start indeed. Happy New Year!

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Well done! Going with the flow. Could you have planned it any better?

I like that tradition. Maybe that's me in 2015.

 
At 8:36 PM , Blogger katina said...

Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home