Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Are You Shy?

If you are shy, there are two types of bikes that you need to avoid:  high-wheelers and fat bikes.   I have both and, out of all my bikes, they get the most attention, on the road.  The Mukluk is surpassed, in the "Gee-whiz" factor only by the high-wheeler.

I have continued to commute on the Mukluk, this week, even though the roads are mostly clear of snow.  I could easily ride the Handsome XOXO, but I am really enjoying the ride on the fat tires.

I have been amused by the reactions of people on the street, as I ride the bike.  Kids stare and point, people in cars pull up beside me and roll their windows down to say. "Awesome!"  or "I love those tires!" or something similar.

I need some mid-winter training, and the extra effort required to ride the fat tires down the road seems to be giving me that.  I want to do my first long ride of the year, soon, and I suspect that the skinnier tires on the handsome are going to be a lot easier to get rolling.  I am hoping that will allow me to make a long ride with less perceived effort.

If we can manage to avoid any more snow for the next few days...

x

4 Comments:

At 8:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see I made a big mistake... I'm shy and I have a Pashley Guv’nor. As you mentioned, this is a kind of bicycle that attracts comments but the bright side is that I'm overcoming my shyness.

 
At 9:15 PM , Blogger katina said...

Yep, I still remember you being in the Parker Parade on your high wheeler.

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger Jerome said...

yup. and recumbents are very odd bikes too, but people typically think that anyone riding a recumbent must be a weirdo anyway so they will try to avoid eye contact altogether:)

 
At 10:27 AM , Blogger Jon said...

So a recumbent might be the ultimate bike for the shy...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home