Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, April 03, 2011

A Satisfying Weekend

The weather, this weekend, was pretty awesome, especially for the first few days of April, at this elevation.  The temperature was in the upper sixties or low seventies on Friday, and we hit a record 84 degrees F on Saturday.  The sun was shining, and everything was almost perfect..

Except the damn wind, of course.  But, I was able to overlook that, due to how nice the rest of the weather was.

I rode 50 miles on Friday (as I posted about), and actually got a little bit of sunburn. 

I also finished mounting a new speedometer on my CL-450.  I decided to go without a tachometer, and mounted a mini-speedo in place of the stock instruments.



On Saturday, I rode over to the coffee shop, and sat outside to drink ,my coffee.  Then, I went for a short ride, that afternoon, to loosen up a little from the stiffness left over from Friday's ride.  I ended up sitting out in the porch swing, playing the cigar box guitar for a while, then listening to music for a while.

And, I put the finishing touches on the mounting plate for the speedometer on the Honda.





Today, it was 65 degrees when I got up, at 6:30 AM!  I did the outside coffee thing, again.  Warm, sunny weather, with birds singing...then this moved in:

In the space of about an hour, it started raining, the temperature dropped to 38 degrees and the rain turned to snow.  I'm certainly glad I washed the Dodge, this morning.

But, the bad weather gave me an excuse to spend the afternoon in the shop building, working on my 29ers.  I put some new wheels, with XT hubs, and some Stan's Crow Tires on the ti bike. 

I swapped the wheels and tires which were on the ti bike to the old Motobecane frame, which I had set up as a 650b, last year.  I also temporarily mounted a surplus military bag, which I got off of eBay, as a seat bag.  I will do a neater job on it, later.  I mainly just wanted to make sure it would work, okay.

Here are a couple of shots of the older 29er, inside my messy shop:


 And, a shot outside, after my test ride:

I also switched the bars and stem, installed SRAM X-9 shifters and rear derailleur and put the Frankenseat on the bike.  I am tentatively planning on taking this bike to Pennsylvania, this summer.  I might throw some cross tires on it, and make it an "all-rounder", much like the ti bike.

The temp has dropped to 32, now.  Looks like it might be a chilly commute, tomorrow.

x

8 Comments:

At 6:16 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Oh man. I was just about over the prior photos of the CL450, and here it is again. What a cool bike. But I really must remain focused on bikes that require pedaling.

Nice work on the pedaling bike also, by the way.

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger Jon said...

More to come, on the Honda, as the summer progresses. Stay tuned...

 
At 8:55 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

Before you know it, I'll be taking a motorcycle course if I keep reading this stuff...

 
At 10:02 AM , Blogger Khal said...

Saw the bike on the sidebar of Steve Avery's site and had to come over for a closer look. My first motorcycle, which I owned from 1973 to 1984, was a 1969 CB-450. Put lots of good miles on that ride.

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

I don't know much about motorcycles, but I think those old bike are cool.

What's your opinion of new retro style motorcycles like this:

http://www.firstsupercars.com/kawasaki-w800-retro-motorcycle

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Myles: I love those Kawasakis. I've wanted a W-650, since they came out, but they only sold them in the States for 2 years and they are somewhat scarce. It remains to be seen whether the 800 will make it here.

I had a new Triumph Thruxton, for a while, and I am thinking very seriously about picking up a Bonneville to mildly customize, along the lines of the Honda (simply because I don't feel that I can afford a new Scrambler).

 
At 4:20 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I've been lightly thinking about one of the new Honda's smaller engine bikes just for commuting, but a friend of mine said I might want something a little bigger. It's tough to find a decent, used bike with a smaller engine around here. Most people, it seems, want the big bikes.

 
At 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most people think they "NEED" big bikes just like they "NEED" 8.0 liter diesel 1 ton dually pickups.Truthfully anything from a 350 to 600 will more than get the job done and probably get you thrown on jail with their top speed.I recently bought an original condition 1971 Honda cb350,with the unnessacary fat taken off and some careful tuning it will easily top 100MPH!More than anyone acctully"NEEDS".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home