Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

The War Wagon

As a guy who doesn't drive much, I keep my pickup truck rather than a car because I usually drive in order to haul something.  Because of that, I recently decided I wanted a bigger truck to replace my little Nissan.  Coincidentally, someone at work had just what I wanted, and had been trying (unsuccessfully) to sell it.

 Boom!

It's a 1993 Dodge D-150, the last year for that body style.  V-8 power, 2 wheel drive (that's why they couldn't find an easy buyer), 8-foot bed, one owner previous to whom I bought if from.  And, it has only 57,000 original miles!

I put some alloy wheels and fairly aggressively-treaded tires on it, just because I am, at heart, still a 16 year-old boy...



The body is pretty straight, with just a few little dings, but no rust.  The exhaust system is all new, including the catalytic converter that John and Beverly put on it the day before I bought it.

I love the big bench seat, and the wide-open cab.  I'm going to have to tint the windows, though, because there is lot of glass surrounding the cab, and it has cooked me as I was driving in 40-degree temps.  I don't know if the A/C will be able to combat it when the outside temperature is 95.

It's in the shop getting a new stereo, right now.  Next Spring, I will get a spray-in bedliner, then it will be pretty perfect.

Checked the gas mileage, today.  It is getting 14.9 mpg, with 75% of those miles being City Driving.  That is pretty much the same as what I get from the V-6, 4WD Nissan!

Now, I just need to sell the Nissan, and everything will be in place...

x

9 Comments:

At 6:55 PM , Blogger MandG said...

We've got an old truck that sits more than it's driven but we just can't part with it because its so nice to have a truck. It definitely gets more use in the summer months with runs to the landscaping place and such.

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

We have a 1993 Ford F150 extended cab. We drive it little but it's not likely we'll get rid of it.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

You sure have a lot of awesome vehicles. I love it! I hope you're feeling better by now.

 
At 1:15 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

Only 57K miles, nice! It's got lots of life left in it.

 
At 3:57 PM , Blogger Brad said...

WOW. Cool. Gets my hillbilly blood twangn!

Internal Combustion vehicles:

Click house of 3 = 5
Grinder house of 1 = 6

Win: Grinder.

 
At 4:59 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Nice looking truck. I have a Chevy pickup that I like to use for hauling stuff. It suffers in fuel economy also, so I try to drive it as little as possible.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger Jon said...

B-rad: joy is going to take the Nissan. I will load Kyle's Suzuki in it, drive to Pennsylvania and fly home. That drops the count to 4 vehicles, on the long term. Still excessive, but a little less so.

Bill: I'm actually pretty pleased with the mpg. Having owned vehicles, in the past, which could only manage 10 mpg, 15 around town seems relatively economical. Particularly since I drive so little, in general.

Plus, as Brad says, it gets the Hillbilly in me all het up!

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger GreenComotion said...

Older trucks are worth keeping! I like your concept: I drive it to haul. Way to go!!

Peace :)

 
At 5:23 AM , Blogger Smilin-buddha said...

lucky guy I would love to get a old dodge like that

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home