Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Feedback

One of the things about writing a blog that I think many people don't understand, is that most of us who do so are looking for a dialog.  It's always fun to get comments, and sometimes it's downright discouraging to put an hour into crafting a post, posting up images and editing the content into something you hope is either interesting or beneficial to the people who read it only to see no comments ever appear.

But, other times, feedback comes in other forms.  Last night, I received the following email from a fellow named Rich:

Hi Jon:
I've visited your blog a few times since I have a Raleigh Portage. I  
recently came across your Cyclofiend page about your XO-2. I had an  
opportunity to pick up a CB-Zip and since it's the predecessor of the  
XO series I considered putting moustache bars on it. But since I have  
those on my Portage already, I was looking for other ideas. Your  
description of how you used the Gary bar with the thumbshifters in  
your setup seemed like a good choice.
 
I have a lot of bikes and do many rides but have never loved how  
brifters are always a compromise between being on the tops, hoods and  
drops... if the tops are the right height the drops are too low to  
comfortable reach the brakes. The setup you suggested which I employed  
on my CB-Zip is great. Now I am much more comfortable staying on the  
drops all the time except when I shift. It's great.  I am an urban  
rider and the bike is like a little missile when I'm on the drops.
 
Thanks! I am attaching a pic of my setup (before I trimmed the brake  
cables...)
 
 
 
 
I answered Rich's email, and asked him if he would mind 
me sharing it and his picture on the blog. 
He graciously gave me permission to do so, adding: "
enjoy the voice with which you 
write and find it informative and entertaining."
 
Thanks, Rich. And, that's a nice bike, by the way.

I pointed out to Rich that, as near as I can tell, the 1992 XO-2 seems to be the same frame and fork as the 1991 CB-0, with the addition of a mustache bar (in stock trim).  I actually picked up a CB-1 (virtually the same geometry, just a bit less expensive tubing) earlier this year to build up as a budget XO.  If I ever get it done, you will see it here, of course.

x

7 Comments:

At 12:26 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

First of all that's a cool bike.

Second, I hear where you're coming from about being disappointed when you don't get a response to your posts. I used to think I was wasting my time until I subscribed to one of those visit counters (I use Statcounter.com) I noticed that I had many more visitors than I thought, and most of them found my blog while doing a search for something specific, usually it's Long Haul Trucker, generator hub, or bottom bracket overhaul. I just figured that I was actually helping people in some way by providing info and links that they might not have found otherwise. I'm guilty of being one of those people that visits a blog without always commenting. I can't always think of something worthy to say. Rich's email proves that your efforts aren't wasted.

 
At 12:37 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

Helping people makes it worthwhile, as does the occasional brilliant inspiration.

 
At 12:38 PM , Blogger thomas said...

That is a really ingenious way to use those thumb shifters; I'll have to recommend it to others. Also, that's definitely a cool bike with great clearance for fenders & knobbies.

 
At 12:47 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Well, I don't expect every visitor to the blog to leave a comment. Lord knows I don't leave one on every blog I read, every time I read it.

But, when the stat counter shows 150 views in a day, and not one comment comes through, it makes one wonder if anybody has gotten anything out of it.

I don't mean to make too big of a deal out of it. It's just one of those things about blogging...

 
At 1:09 PM , Blogger MELI. said...

oh that is so nice!!
never get discouraged by no comments, I know there are many shy people out there that read your blog. anyone that has an individual sense of writing things and showing their own adventures always builds a loyal following. plus who other than you rocks coffee socks, rides motorcycles and kicks butt in the snow :D

ps. you have about 50+ google reader subscribers, my peeps and I are avid users of it

many hugs as always from SF
♥xxo.meli

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Lovely bicycle indeed! It looks like it could be one of your builds.

I agree, it's always a good feeling to get some positive feedback, and know someone gets something out of your blog.

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger She Rides a Bike said...

I know what you mean about not getting comments. Even one puts a smile on my face as then I know that I've made a connection. Anyway, I just got back from a visit to Denver where we rented B Cycles and pedaled around downtown. We really enjoyed your town and hope to one day make it our own. I'll be visiting your blog again very soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home