Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

When Tuesday = Monday

Even though today is actually Tuesday, it sure seemed more like Monday.  Of course, it was the first day of the work week, due to the holiday yesterday.  But, it was Monday on a deeper level, as well.

I make my coffee, at work, in a French press, every day.  I heat the water up in an electric kettle, as I get my machines powered up and get ready to start my testing.  Today, I let the water get to a full boil, by accident.  (I usually unplug the kettle as the water just begins to boil, since that is the temperature which is supposed to brew the best java.)

I picked the kettle up and unplugged it, planning to let the boiling calm down a bit before pouring.  As I turned, with the kettle in my hand, the plug caught on something, and ended up pouring about a pint and a half of boiling water over my left hand.

I dropped the kettle onto my lab cart (no samples on it), and ran to my sink, where I ran cold water over my hand in an attempt to not only kill the pain, but to avoid blistering.  It worked, thankfully.  I ended up with a fairly painful scald (which still hurts a bit, 14 hours later), but no blistering. 

I applied some burn cream and wrapped the hand in gauze (from the first-aid box in the office), and wore a rubber glove over that as I worked.  That probably helped prevent more damage, as well.

Monday, Tuesday...whenever:  It was no way to start the week.

x

3 Comments:

At 9:23 PM , Blogger Noah said...

French Press is the only way to get your coffee on.

For us salaried folks, weeks like this mean we have 32 hours to deliver 40 hours of results.

 
At 6:39 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Yeah, that's the situation I'm in (coupled with an increased workload due to personnel who have left and not been replaced, funding cuts which have forced us to do testing for other sections who always sent samples out to consultants, and...a pay cut).

Essentially, I have to get about 50 or 60 hous of work done in 40 hours, nowadays, and a short week doesn't shorten the workload.

Working man's blues, I suppose.

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Yeesh. Glad you acted quickly to prevent unnecessary damage.

You guys can quit your bellyaching. At least you get paid for the extra day off!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home