Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Race Day Approaches

Well, I took today off so that I could get all of my last-minute stuff done. I went to the laundromat and washed all of my dirty bike clothes, bought more bike clothes and some tubes over at Performance, then went to the grocery store and spent $275.00. If you crew for me, you eat like a king!

Here's the final race configuration of the KHS. I took the old Rolf wheels off and put on my Bontrager RaceLights.



New brake pads made the squealing and sponginess I was experiencing go away. I actually bought these blue JagWire pads for the TREK, but I didn't feel like swapping two sets of pads out, the other night. So, these went on the the KHS.


The jingly bell stays on for the race. I figure that, as much as it rings itself from irregularities on the pavement it will play me a constant tune on the trail.
.
Clothes are packed, food is in the cooler, two pounds of pasta and 6 baked potatoes are pre-cooked, Fig Newtons and Raspberry Newtons are bagged up, along with pb&j and pb&banana sandwiches.
.
I put changes of bike clothes in individual zip-loc bags, labelled as to when I want to wear them (1st, 2nd, etc), and I have all of the warmers and gloves and hats in a separate bag for mixing and matching. I have my new shoes and my old ones (with new velcro installed) as a backup, along with my commuting shoes and BMX pedals, just in case.
.
I got so excited about the race that I actually shaved my legs, in antici...pation of maybe getting a massage during it. Man, if you thought my legs were normally pasty-white, you should see them now!
.
Rich and Carol are coming by, later tonight, so that we can pack the minivan and have it ready to go, first thing in the morning. I just hope everything will fit (my bike and clothes, Rich's, Carol's and Colin's, plus all of the food and firewood).
.
Now, I am in relax mode. I have done everything I can to get ready, I feel as fit as I have in a long time, and there's no sense in stressing. So, I am blogging and drinking a beer.
.
I know, I know: Don't drink and blog! The heat is on, etc., etc.
.
Whatever.
.
Wish me luck.
.
Oh, and go here http://superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/081009jm.htm for a link to a live webcast from Moab, during the race, if you are interested.
.
Sorry about all of the periods, but Blogger is doing that thing where the paragraph breaks disappear when I publish the damn blog.
.
x



1 Comments:

At 3:42 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Good luck, man! I'm sure you'll have a great time. I have a big ride this weekend, too, here in southern Indiana (although it's no 24-hour race). Here's hoping everyone has a fun, safe time. Looking forward to your race report.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home