Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

I Got Bucked Off of My High Horse!

Last Monday, as I was riding to work, I was in a not particularly good mood. I had a cold, and I felt that I still hadn't recovered from the Moab debacle.

As I climbed the hill on Dahlia, where I broke my crankarm a couple of months ago, I heard a car coming up behind me. Of course, the driver had to pass me, even though we were only about 50 feet from the intersection. I think I've mentioned this phenomenon, before.

Anyway, I didn't get too upset about that. But, when the car went through the red light, turning right, without even slowing down...for some reason, that just pissed me off. So, I went to flip the guy off, due to my righteous indignation.

Unfortunately for me, I was also hitting the brake to stop for the red light, as I did this. Somehow, I threw myself off balance as I raised my middle finger, grabbed a big old handful of brake, and flipped ass over teakettle right in the middle of the road.

Instant Karma!

To top it off, I somehow managed to get my leg through the front triangle of the bike frame, with my foot jammed between the downtube and the rear wheel. I could hear another car coming, so I had to hop over to the curb on one foot, dragging the bike along behind me like a ball and chain.

Once I got disentangled, I continued to ride to work. I still felt like crap. I was still tired. But I was laughing, too, at the craziness of the whole thing. I was kind of embarassed by it all, and not sure if I wanted to tell everyone what a jerk I had been. But, I find it so funny, I just can't help but tell the story.

The moral? I don't know. Maybe, just that I should not let my physical discomforts affect how I treat others. Maybe just, "Don't be a jerk."

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

x

3 Comments:

At 8:29 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Haha, it's a funny story, and I'm glad you shared it. It could happen to any of us. A good reminder to be extra careful, especially when upset.

 
At 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Instant karma's gonna get you
Gonna knock you off your feet"
Or your wheels, in your case.

-Joy

 
At 10:39 AM , Blogger sasquatch2 said...

I feel ya! similar thing happened to me a few years ago... tried to punch a van when the dork turned left from the oncomming lane despite making eye-contact. As I was stopping and trying to reach forward to pound on the van my shoes didn't unclip so I wiped similarly. Lesson? I dunno!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home