Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Curse of the Yellow Bike

I always heard that green race cars were unlucky. I'm beginning to think that yellow bikes might be, as well. Since the first week of August, I've broken a crank, a chain, and a rim as well as wrecking the bike while acting like an ass.

Today, on the way to work, the squeaky saddle finally let go.

It was similar to what happened on the Peugeot, in Michigan, last year. But, in this case, the leather actually failed and the hardware was still in one piece. (Beautiful cell-phone photo taken in my cubicle, at work.)

Luckily, instead of having to ride 35 miles back to town in order to fix the problem, I was able to just ride on to work, where I had tools and supplies.
I drilled 10 holes in each side, and laced the saddle skirts together, thus raising the seating surface up off of the saddle rails. It actually rides like new, now, and I could conceivably use it for quite a while if I needed to.
As it is, I have a black Ideal which I picked up at Velo Swap, last Saturday. So, I'll just stick it on the bike. Then, I merely have to decide whether to paint this bike another (hopefully luckier) color or else build up the lugged StumpJumper frame out in the storage building to replace this yellow dog.
Sheesh!
x

4 Comments:

At 4:46 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

This close to Halloween with a cursed yellow bike,I say build up the lugged stumpy and burn the yellow frame in effigy to the bike gods before it kills you!

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger Brad said...

∆ THAT is a good idea! Burn it tonight, bury it in the yard, then dig it up midnight Nov 1. Day of the Dead (bike).

RESURRECTION MAN!! VooDoo ZOMBIE like!!

 
At 6:38 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

LOL! Dia deLos bicicleta muertos

 
At 8:04 AM , Blogger Charlotte said...

I think you're on to something with this yellow bike curse. I had my yellow bike fail dramatically: http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlotte_and_andy/1750152006/in/set-72157602705084719/

Despite all that my sister wants nothing so much as a bright yellow bike. I'm on the hunt for her...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home